Ayurveda's Role In Breast Cancer Prevention
Breast cancer is the prevailing cancer among women. Around 30% of all new cancer cases in women yearly are breast cancer. The American Cancer Society states that approximately 297,790 newly diagnosed invasive breast cancer cases occurred in 2023.
treatment for breast cancer has been improved and advanced but Ayurveda offers a holistic approach to the prevention of breast cancer.
You've landed on the right page if you want to learn more about this. In this blog, we have explained what Ayurveda says about breast cancer and herbs it recommends for breast cancer prevention, the selection of home remedies, and the healing power of Ayurvedic massages.
Ayurveda And Breast Cancer
Ayurveda believes the human body is built on three doshas - Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. An unhealthy lifestyle or any other disruption in the body leads to an imbalance in these doshas. Due to an imbalance in these three doshas, diseases like cancer can develop in the body.
Did you know the primary reason behind this imbalance?
When we don't eat well and make unhealthy lifestyle choices, our body's doshas get messed up. This can harm our digestion and create toxins in our body. These toxins block all the channels of your body and might increase the risk of breast cancer.
Ayurveda advocates a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, herbs, home remedies, and massages to prevent and manage breast cancer.
Top Herbs For Breast Cancer Prevention
According to NCBI, various herbs have anti-cancer properties and can help in breast cancer prevention. Most of the commonly used herbs include:
- Ashwagandha – This herb is well-known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It can help reduce inflammation in the breast tissue. Besides this, Ashwagandha is a stress reliever that may eliminate stress, weakness, and tiredness associated with breast cancer.
- Turmeric – Turmeric has strong cancer-fighting properties. It has a compound named curcumin that may prevent the growth of cancer cells including breast.
Additionally, it balances all three doshas—Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. If taken in excess, however, it can exacerbate pitta and vata doshas. It is beneficial to improve health and immunity.
- Tulsi – Tulsi may contribute to breast cancer prevention in several ways. Tulsi is a relaxing herb and balances the Vata dosha. It supports the body's defense against cancer.
Breast cancer and its treatment affect your emotional and physical health. The adaptogenic nature of Tulsi may help to reduce anxiety and support overall well-being.
Additionally, it supports detoxification and can control the accumulation of toxins by eliminating them. Detoxification is crucial for our overall health.
Triphala – Triphala is a formulation of three ayurvedic herbs – Amla, Haritaki, and Bibhitaki. It contains a variety of natural compounds, including ellagic acid, gallic acid, alkaloids, chebulinic acid, l-ascorbic acid, bellaricanin, beta-sitosterol, (Quercetin, Luteolin, etc.), saponins, amino acids, and more. These compounds exhibit potent antioxidant and anticancer properties.
Additionally, Triphala may help to enhance the immune system's function, eliminate ama from the body, and support digestive health.
- Shatavari – Shatavari is an Ayurvedic herb that offers various potential health benefits and it may help to prevent breast cancer. It pacifies Vata and Pitta doshas and may support mental health by managing stress.
In addition, Shatavari powder has phytoestrogens, which can influence estrogen levels in your body. While some studies indicate potential benefits of phytoestrogens for conditions like breast cancer, they may exacerbate other conditions like uterine fibroids.
Home Remedies For Breast Cancer Prevention
Ayurveda also recommends several home remedies that can help prevent breast cancer. Most of the helpful home remedies include:
- Green Tea – Green tea is an affluent source of antioxidants and may help to manage breast cancer. You can take one teaspoon twice a day with room temperature water.
- Garlic – Garlic is a potent anti-cancer herb that may lessen the risk of breast cancer. You can consume garlic in raw form, cooked form, or as supplements such as garlic capsules or garlic oil. We recommend you use our Snow Mountain Garlic.
- Ginger – Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation and manage breast cancer effectively. Give a try to our ginger powder to take advantage of various health benefits
- Carrots – You can eat carrots. Because carrots contain high content of Vitamin A and can help strengthen the immune system and may help to manage cancer.
- Beetroot – We all know that beetroot is a rich source of antioxidants. It boosts the body's immune system and may control the development and spread of cancer cells. You can have beetroot juice or soup.
- A Balanced Diet– Ayurveda recommends a balanced diet. A balanced diet includes a variety of foods and fruits to support overall health. You can eat seasonal vegetables also. They provide essential nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Ayurvedic Massages For Breast Cancer Management
Ayurvedic massages can also help in the management of breast cancer. Some of the most effective massages include:
- Abhyanga – Abhyanga is a full-body massage with herbal oils. It may enhance circulation and decrease inflammation in the breast tissue.
- Udvartana – Udvartana is a massage that uses herbal powders like Neem, Amla, Ginger, Turmeric, Tulsi, etc. to exfoliate the skin and remove toxins from the body. Ayurvedic practitioners customize Udvartana powders based on an individual's constitution and health needs.,
- Pinda Sweda – Pinda Sweda is a massage that uses hot herbal poultices to reduce inflammation and improve circulation in the breast tissue.
Using herbs, home remedies, and massages can help you in prevention of breast cancer.
Embracing a healthy lifestyle and including Ayurvedic practices in your daily routine can reduce your risk of breast cancer. Remember,to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before taking any herbs or ayurvedic massages.